Monday, June 15, 2009

Beach Days, Camp Haze, Eggs, And Fish from the Bay

June arrives and the magic begins. I am yet again reminded of why I live here, why I put up with the hassles of living somewhere off the road system and all that entails -- Because of everything I'm going to post pictures of below. I really don't feel I need to explain much, because the past two years I've pretty much explained everything (if you're new to my site, check out my archives!), and I'm just going to let the images speak for themselves....

Last Monday, the 9th, Tuluk took Esther and I across the bay (south) to what I call "bird land" to find eggs. It was just as cool as I remember, with birds everywhere.Above is Esther listening to the egg because we had just read the children's book, "An Egg is Quiet."Above is a goose hunkered down on her nest trying to hide from us. It is the best picture I could get, as they fly away when we get too close; so this is going to be a continuing goal of mine -- to get a better picture of a goose on a nest.Esther with a swan egg -- so huge!
Although we went fairly late, and most of the eggs had tiny bird embryos in them already, when they're scrambled up, you can't tell that the egg was developed at all. I know that might seem gross, but think about it: an egg has the same stuff in it whether it's developed or not -- it just has a different form.

We finally got out to camp! Wednesday the 11th we set up the tent and got settled out there. We had two days of amazing warm weather; we fully enjoyed our time before it got cold, rainy and windy again and we're back in the house for a few days. Here are some pictures of camp 2009: Tundra Teeter-Totter: Esther and Jasmine:Iris's first morning waking up in the tent (in her snazzy leopard-print wrap that functioned as her sleeping bag):

The weather was SO warm and fabulous that the girls and I were able to wade into the Bering! Yep, below is the proof that we're at the edge of the western world.
YES, the water was cold (especially since 10 days ago there was still ice on the beach), but nowhere near as cold as I've experienced in some mountain streams in the Rockies or such. We just kept going in and out. The girls figured out that if they covered themselves in the warm sand, they stayed warmer.. then they got in again to wash it off! Iris enjoying the beach:

We got our first fish this weekend -- chum, or dog salmon, which is what we generally use the most of. This year fishing for King Salmon, even for subsistence, is restricted in our area (though the trawlers in the ocean get to legally waste hundreds of thousands of King Salmon a year, which is why there is a shortage to begin with), and though this is a hardship for many, we are happy with any salmon we can get. Chums are fine with us. Here are pictures of Esther cutting her first fish!

6 comments:

strwberrryjoy said...

Ok, I am following your blog since Amy (pretty babies) posted a link to it. I grew up in Valpo as well. It looks like there is some cool stuff in Alaska! I look forward to more of your posts.

Slugs On The Refrigerator said...

great pictures!!!

Finnskimo said...

OK, so after seeing your beautiful daughters, I realized I was totally behind you at the Alaska Airlines counter on Friday!!! IN ANCHORAGE!

I had the eighteen pieces of luggage with like Duck feed and Dog food and a block of wood! Oh, and groceries! We carried on our suitcases! Cause you know, we need our groceries!

I can't believe it...such a small world...

Good to meet you over the web.

And I LOVE, Love, Love your baby sling! Gotta get me a baby before I get one of those!

Great pics, I LOVE our life out here. I do love to go outside too, but only for a little while.

Maija

TwoYaks said...

I just found your blog from cathy in Kotz's, and I love it. You have such a lovely family! I am adding yours to my reading list! :)

I am Laura said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Your kids are adorable. What a cool life you are living. Your daughter doesn't seem the least bit disgusted in handling fish. I don't think I was that brave as a kid.

In answer to your question. Those crazy bathing suits aren't actually for the FLDS. I read an article about them and the people who make them live in Oregon and just want modest swimsuits for girls. They say that they are doing well in business. I think it is sad that people think women's bodies are that bad to show just a little of it. I mean you can find modest swimsuits that don't make you look like you belong to a polygamist organization. I am interested in that book you read and I am thinking I will give it a try. Thanks for your comments.

Unknown said...

Hi , I love your blog and your cute kids. You must be having a great life, I can only imagine the fun your kids have.

I would love for you to share posts, articles or anything interesting with our bizymoms Anchorage community. Other mom are going to love your posts Anchorage

I think they even have a feature for experts on their home page bizymoms

Related Posts with Thumbnails